Thursday 12 June 2014

Lunch at The Plough - Harborne, Birmingham

Yesterday I finally went to The Plough, which I've been wanting to do for the whole of my two years in Birmingham. Loads of my friends have been and rave about it and I can see why.


I instantly fell in love with The Plough when I walked in. It's my type of place; relaxed and friendly yet really well decorated and a bit special. The price reflects this, its not cheap but you get what you pay for - excellent food and great service in a really lovely environment. Sadly I didn't take any photos of the restaurant itself, but it was bright, with lots of windows and had a bit of a rustic feel with the use of wooden panels on the walls and ceiling and an eclectic mix of chairs. There is a big outdoor area too which would be perfect to sit in on a sunny day or summer evening.


I loved the fact they had their name on their glasses. Its another factor that makes it a bit more special than the average pub and sort of makes it clear that they have a strong identity.

As for the food, I was very impressed and I know I will be back to try more on their menu. I decided to have the pizza on the Specials menu, which changes daily.


It was a thin and crispy base topped with tomato sauce, pulled cajun chicken, halloumi, peppers, sunblushed tomatoes and spinach (if I remember correctly) and it was absolutely delicious. I'm sure there were pizzas on the main menu with similar toppings. It was just a really yummy pizza, perhaps a little too crispy as it was a bit difficult to cut up but that is the only flaw I could find. The cajun chicken had a great flavour and it was very filling - it defeated me, I did eat most of it but one of my friends who usually finishes my food ate it up so it didn't go to waste. In fact I was so full that I didn't eat anything else for the rest of the day. I'm not sure it was better than the pizzas at The North Star in Cardiff (read about their pizzas here) but it was not much, if any, worse.


Next time I go to The Plough I will 100% be having this burger. It was described by my friend as "amazing. The best burger I have ever eaten in my life". I cannot underestimate what high praise this is. My friend has eaten a heck of a lot of burgers. Most of the time when we eat out together, if there is a burger on the menu, she will have it. So for it to be given the title of the best one she has ever eaten, it must be good. I will definitely find out for myself one day.

The Plough do Calzones for £6.50 Monday - Friday before 5pm and my other two friends I went to lunch with had one. You just choose two fillings to go in the Calzone (along with mozzarella and tomato), so one of my friends had ham and peppers and the other had spicy beef and caramelized red onions.




They were huge and looked so tempting. My friends both enjoyed them and they would be a perfect choice for lunch or an early dinner.

We had a great time catching up over lunch and I would really recommend The Plough. The food was delicious and arrived very quickly, the staff were friendly and its a really nice pub/restaurant if you're looking for somewhere relaxed yet a bit fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment